OK in New Orleans
|Drew and Brittany Brees get plenty of help from some of their youngest fans as they cut the ribbon at the newly-rebuilt Royal Castle Child Development Center in New Orleans on December 17, 2007.|
Join the Operation Kids Team As We Help the Children of New Orleans!
Our partnership with the Brees Dream Foundation (founded by NFL quarterback Drew Brees and his wife Brittany) to raise money for children’s projects in New Orleans has been a great success. Thanks to the generosity of our donors (individual, corporate and foundation) we have raised more than $1.65 million to rebuild including parks, playground facilities, academic programs, child care facilities, after-school programs, mentoring programs and athletic facilities in New Orleans.
Thanks to recent, substantial gifts from corporate, foundation and individual donors, we have only $175,000 to go!
We still need to fund important after-school programs at 7 schools provided by New Orleans Outreach, and assist Best Buddies Louisiana in its efforts to provide mentoring programs for intellectually disabled students in New Orleans. These are critical projects…and we need your help!
So far, we’ve supported the following projects:
- We rebuilt the Royal Castle Child Development Center, a Class A day-care facility in a hard-hit area of New Orleans that serves up to 100 kids.
- We funded 25 summer science internships for juniors and seniors at New Orleans Charter Science& Math High School. They participated in challenging assignments at Tulane University, the Oschner Hospital System and several other organizations.
- We funded the rebuilding of Lusher Charter School’s athletic field. Upon completion (scheduled for May 2009), the field will host several sports and multiple school and community recreational events.
- We provided important funding for after-school academic, tutoring, arts and mentoring programs through New Orleans Outreach.
- We rebuilt athletic fields and a community center at New Orleans’ historic Pontchartrain Park. The park will play an important role in revitalizing the surrounding neighborhood.
- We helped fund construction of the Edible Schoolyard New Orleans, an innovative educational concept where students at Green Charter School and Arthur Ashe Charter School participate in gardening and cooking lessons that reinforce classroom coursework in core subjects.
- We funded community revitalization through Beacon of Hope Resource Centers, and efforts by Best Buddies Louisiana to rebuild student chapters at high schools in and around New Orleans.
Check out the project summaries below for more information.
Thousands of New Orleans children have been helped because of your support. That’s why we want to thank you, and all of the campaign’s institutional donors – the National Automobile Dealers Charitable Foundation, Harrah’s Foundation, Allstate Foundation, XanGo, Coke, Popeyes, Florida Marine, Chili’s, NFL, Forever Young Foundation, Illuminated Entertainment and others – who have made this campaign so successful.
Although it’s been more than three years since Hurricane Katrina hit, the children of New Orleans still need our help. Please consider making a donation to the “Rebuilding Dreams” campaign. Help us finish our projects. Together, we can make a difference.